Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Meet Storyteller Crystal Marcos

Carpinello's Writing Pages welcomes back Crystal Marcos. After writing for Middle Graders, Crystal shares her new YA novel with our readers.

First, a bit about Crystal:

Award-winning author Crystal Marcos has been a storyteller her entire life. As the oldest of five children, she had to do a lot of entertaining. She lives on the Kitsap Peninsula in Washington State with her husband, daughter Kaylee, and newborn son Jackson.

Why did you pick to write books for young readers?

I chose to write books for children to young adult because it is what I love reading. I knew from a young age that I wanted to be an author. All my life, as far as books go, I have mostly read these genres.


What types of books do you like to read?

As you already know, I read children’s, middle grade, and young adult. I also enjoy cookbooks and magazines like Family Fun or Yum Food and Fun for Kids.

When you are not writing, what do you like to do?

I enjoy cuddling with my newborn baby boy and watching him interact with my six-year-old daughter. I love watching cooking shows with my little girl. We also cook and bake together. We especially enjoy cupcake or cake shows. I discovered a little over a year ago that I have a natural talent for making elaborate cakes. I have been making cakes for family events ever since. I have a large family so I there are plenty of cakes to be made. One of my more recent cake projects was my sister’s wedding cake. I was so nervous, but it turned out great and tasted yummy too! Thank goodness.


Tell us about Novus and how the story came to be.


The idea for Novus came to me over three years ago in a dream that jolted me awake. I wanted to go back to sleep, hoping to pick up where I left off. I didn’t and kept thinking about it. I wanted to know more about the people in my dream, more about the setting, more about what was going on, and where the story was leading. I finally have the answers and am delighted to share them. The book is a look into my imagination and my dreams. Novus is Book One of The Cresecren Chronicles.

Here's a peek at Novus:

Being a teenager is hard enough. And what if your life’s path is predetermined? On top of that, you aren’t even Human?

Cayden was given life as a Cresecren. He expected to live out his days with the dysfunctional Human family he was assigned to serve. One fateful night, however, landed him in Gavaron, the home of maimed, elderly, or defiant Cresecren.

Beyond its borders is the Den, an area much more dangerous than he ever imagined. Now seventeen, Cayden unwittingly becomes involved in a conspiracy and is one of a handful of survivors fleeing a deadly attack. They set off on a perilous journey in search of refuge and the truth. Along the way, Cayden begins to comprehend the difference between fully living and merely surviving, while trying to balance his emotions and a forbidden love.

Have you written other books? If so, tell us a bit about them.

Yes, I have two books in a children’s series: the award-winning Bellyache: A Delicious Tale and Headache: The Hair-Raising Sequel to Bellyache. They are fun fantasy-adventures for ages 7 and up.

What’s next for your writing? Are you working on a new story?

I am currently working on a children’s picture book and writing the second book in The Cresecren Chronicles.

What advice do you have for other authors?

It is difficult to find time to write sometimes. However, you can always find the time to imagine or daydream. File those thoughts away in your mind, record yourself on a handheld tape recorder, or jot them down on a piece of paper for when you have time to write.

Where can readers connect with you? 

Website
Twitter
Facebook
Pinterest
LinkedIn
Goodreads
IAN

Where can readers find your books?

Amazon 
Kindle
Amazon Paperback

Barnes & Noble Paperback
Nook Book
Smashwords
Signed Copies

2 comments:

  1. I love how your dystopian book was inspired by a dream! Thanks for sharing at the Kid Lit Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are a fan of Crystals books, so lovely to read her interview and I think our little boys were born within a few weeks of each other, hurrahh, best wishes and thanks for joining the kid lit blog hop

    ReplyDelete